Not Totally Inept

Breath-takingly insightful, if you're really dumb.

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Please Consult A Physician Before Using This Post

My friend walks up to me the other day and says, "Hey, do you know if there's a vet clinic anywhere around here?" Then he flexes both his biceps, looks at them with mock concern and says, "Cuz these pythons are SICK!"

Yes, that joke's terrible. But not so terrible that I didn't try to re-tell it 30 seconds later. I learned 2 things as a result. a), if you re-tell that joke, it will still suck the 2nd time. And b), girls don't even understand what you're talking about.They'll be like, "You have snakes? That's gross. I don't care if they're not feeling well." Nevertheless, my friend's reptile problem got me thinking about my own rather prodigious pythons. See, I've never needed a personal trainer, as I was born with an almost obscene amount of muscle mass, obscene meaning, "Where the $%#@ did that guy's muscle mass go?"

I guess it's not so much that I have none at all, it's just I thought I'd have more by now. I see these magazine articles talking about massive gains in 3 weeks, and I have to wonder: Is that 3 earth weeks? Time travel weeks? I've been working out for 15 years--using Men's Fitness logic, I should be about as big as a motor home. However, if you think I'm gonna quit trying, you have no idea. You know nothing about me, because you never bothered to learn. You don't know what makes me love, what makes me laugh, what makes me cry. You need to spend time with a person to figure those things out. It's called caring about someone, maybe you've heard of it. Ok, I've been wanting to say that for awhile now, but it never seemed like the right time. As opposed to now. Anyway, we can talk about it later.

What I'm getting at is, when I do something, I go all the way with it. My 7 year old nephew likes to play basketball, but if he's going to step to me with his weak 7-year-old-nephew game, then so be it. May the best man win, even though he never does. If I'm having tea and crumpets? Same thing. I will have tea and crumpets in an extreme way. And if I can't punish myself Rocky-style each and every time I pump iron, what's the point? Trying to figure out that hot blonde's workout schedule so you can know when to go to the gym? That's important, but the manager said stop, and I can respect that.

No, I think the real point is to attain the eye of the tiger. The fact that I understand this is what enables me to continue flailing away in the weight room, despite muscle gains that would only be perceptible if you had an electron microscope. I'll tell you right now, I have no interest in an exercise regimen where the central theme is not attaining that eye of the tiger. Unless my prospective trainer can design a workout program specifically for that purpose, we have nothing to discuss. He'll sit there talking about stuff which has nothing to do with attaining the eye of the tiger, like how I'm doing the exercise completely wrong, and I'll barely be listening. Just staring off into space, basically. If he wants to take up all our time talking about how I'm sitting on the leg machine backwards, that's his prerogative. Each of us have our own fitness goals, apparently that's his.

I'll admit I'm not entirely sure what the next step will be, after I have acquired the eye of the tiger. All I know is it's what I need. I need it like I need oxygen. And I shall have it, even if anabolic steroids are required in massive doses. I'll shoot that stuff directly into my left ventricle if you want. Don't think I won't. As I've explained, I'm fairly motivated, and when it comes to significantly increasing my chances of liver failure, well, I'm in with both feet. Ok, I guess that's my plan then. Problem solved.

Note to kids and teens: Don't use anabolic steroids. The only reason I'm going to use them is because they make you more attractive and really strong, like superman.

11 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Blogger particleman said...

i happen to own an electron microscope, and i measured your muscle gain (while you were sleeping, no less. i hope that's not an issue). you do indeed have massive amounts of muscle gain, though it is all at the subatomic level. and everyone knows that subatomic muscle gain is absolutely pointless, but it is a necessary step in visible muscle gain. unfortunate for you, that step is infinite in duration. visible muscle gain is a pipe dream. but they say pipe dreams are what make life worth living, so have at it.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

pythons, muscles, microscopes, pipes, and steroids.

and what do you mean by this?

>You need to spend time with a person to figure those things out. It's called caring about someone, maybe you've heard of it.

doesn't the time i've spent sleeping under your bed and hiding in the waist-high lawn and the small dead animals i've left on the porch equate to caring?

(erik, both p-man and i evidently enjoy sneaking in when you sleep - you should never feel underappreciated)

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Gart said...

Take it from someone who was there to witness the initial phase of your quest for ultimate muscle mass, lo these 15 years gone by: You don't need an electron microscope to measure the gains. I'm sure a conventional glass-objective light microscope would do the trick.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Erik said...

gart, you think glass objective would do the trick? thanks, i was starting to lose the faith!

pman-apparently you didn't need the electron microscope, because i'm so enormous, like gart says. still, as you say, my gains will never be recognized by the naked eye. i'm fine with that. the sneaking into my room thing we might need to discuss, but i know you were just trying to help.

heather-stop leaving animals! i don't know what to do with them. if you want to look at me while i'm sleeping, i'll just send you a picture. fyi, i think i sleep with my mouth open a lot, and my tongue hangs out to the side like i'm trying to make out with myself.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Erik said...

remember: if your mom doesn't think you're handsome, you have serious problems. for those who haven't seen me, i am actually quite hideous. thanks anyway mom.

tea and crumpets next tuesday?

:-)

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Rob said...

A freaky thing involving (I think) a worm-hole in the space-time continuum, plus transferrence theory and transubstantiation has resulted in all your muscle gain being applied to MY body.
I can't begin to tell you how much I and my many admiring girlfriends appreciate it.
Did I mention how muscular I am, unlike other people that are you?

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your anonymous commenters have been slacking off lately. so i'm here to pick up the slack.

it is clear that the small animals have been underappreciated so i shall resort to rubber animals for your living room hearth.

'cuz who wouldn't smile at a house with a rubber animal-filled hearth?

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

I normally don't go around telling people my little secrets but for you buddy, here goes it...
http://www.ukfitnesssupplies.co.uk/
mall/UKFitnessSuppliesLtd/customeri
mages/products/G748.jpg
copy and paste that link into your browser, go to the store buy yourself one of those, use it for no more than 15 minutes at first, otherwise you'll be hurting, gradually increase your time. Trust me! I've used it for years. They are cheap, indestructable and frikkin' awesome. I actually had to cut back my use because my pythons weren't looking very chick-like.
This is Lois Lane and I support this comment. I'm also a client, or some junk.

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know what happens when you have extreme muscle gain? Yea, it makes everything else look smaller! You can take it from there....

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Eric!!!!!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Erik said...

my friend eric just emails me a couple minutes ago and says, 'hey, go check out the comment i left!'

thanks eric, that's really a good one. no really, thanks. how did you get this url?

anonymous: your response to the last comment was just a *little* too enthusiastic for my tastes. what are you trying to say? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home