Not Totally Inept

Breath-takingly insightful, if you're really dumb.

Friday, May 06, 2005

Farewell, Ms. Spears

Dear Britney,

It's taken me quite some time to gather the courage to write this, so I hope you read the whole thing. Because I remember when we were together, you would stop reading when you came across big words like "across". In this context, across means "encountered". Anyway, do you remember when it started? You were a minor in 32 states at the time, and yes, that's kind of creepy now that I think about it. But my love is controlled not by chronological sequences, or by how people have different ages--nay, it is controlled by how earnestly I wanted to get with you. But let's forget about that for a moment. Let's talk about how you promised me forever, and then went on and did other things. Many other things. "Things" means "guys" in this context.

First, there was Justin, which I accepted. But only because I knew you two had been friends on the Mickey Mouse Club, 2 pm weekdays on Nickolodeon. Then your relationship turned into something disgusting and base, like who could do the moonwalk better. Well, I guess we all know what happened with that. Justin is now clearly better at the moonwalk, while you can't even walk across the room without chafing your thighs. I'm not trying to be mean, but recently they have become quite pudgy. I know you’re preggers, but come on.

Now we have your precious Kevin Federline, or simply K-Fed, as I like to call him. I call him that because I harbor no ill will towards him. It is not he who now has porky pig thighs. It is not he who has betrayed my trust and gone a-whoring behind my back. It is not he who looked me straight in the eye and then did the metaphorical equivalent of a surgeon doing a heart transplant on someone, but then not actually finishing the transplant. So the end result is that the person is left with no heart. I agree, that metaphor could use a re-write. But my point remains valid—it’s not Kevin who is the problem here, he is merely a homeless person who's good at breakdancing. Which is why I assumed you were with him only to forget about me, or to drive me nearly out of my mind with jealousy. Well, mission accomplished, my fickle young flower. Mission accomplished.

Britney Spears-Ryan. The name that destiny gave you, and by coincidence, the same name you've rejected like last month's 'smoky eyes' mascara look. Just weeks ago, that look was very popular among promiscuous pop stars such as you, and it's still popular, but not as popular. That's how I feel. Popular, but not as popular as I might feel if you weren't sharing it all over town. The point is, you have destroyed me. And now you're carrying K-Fed's child, a man who looks like a ferris wheel operator with a stylish beanie.

So I'm through living a lie. I can't stick around while you marry, and then become impregnated by, each of your backup dancers in succession. Or maybe one more dancer after this one, but that would be my absolute limit. That’s right, I need to start taking care of me. Speaking of, I believe Hillary Duff is now legal, or close enough. And she may not know of my existence, but notice how I said "may". It's also possible that she does know, and loves me fiercely. More than you ever did. Plus, it becomes obvious that there's no room in your uterus for a second child (mine) at this late stage in the game, not to mention, such a scenario is probably medically impossible. I don't want my child in there competing with Kevin's anyway. It's unhealthy. So stop calling. I have moved on, and I won't let you back into my heart--which is still lying next to the operating table. Remember from earlier, I was talking about that?

9 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger unca said...

Wow. This reminds me so much of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's "Sonnets from the Portuguese" it's almost scary.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

hmmm... while it isn't as all-around creepy as this, it doesn't quite have the catchy tune either... :)

but you like my dog's taste in folk music, so you win! hurrah!

(freakin' a, now that song will be in my head for the rest of the weekend)

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Erik said...

unca-i know, uncanny, huh? and i haven't even read any of them. but here was the first review i looked up:

"The poems in Sonnets from the Portuguese, while written in another era, hold up to this day as some of the most romantic poetry ever written."

so--compliment accepted. :)

heatherfeather-i guess i'm thankful you don't find it as creepy as that song, because that would make me sad. and then i would make you put the lotion in the basket!

mom-if you're listening to that song, don't. ;)

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Rob said...

if you get beyond the words, i kind of like that song.

and it's in my head now, too, hf. thanks.

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

truly, it is a catchy ditty.

and his voice is so pleasant... it's just the freakiness of the words and that someone bothered to make a music video of it, to boot.

you can buy it at the iTunes music store if you want to listen to it forever and ever ("lotion" by the greenskeepers).

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger particleman said...

i've come out of my super hibernation study mode especially to post on your site. don't get all cocky, i'm not doing this for you, i'm doing this for my little sister, britney. when we were living in texas and you guys were dating, she wasn't a minor. isn't that whack? what's even more whack is that we never lived in texas, and i don't have a little sister, thus disproving your entire post. also, you dating her was probably just another one of your dreams when you were caught tonguing your pillow. i'm starting to see a pattern begin to develop here.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Blogball said...

Erik, Jamie Lynn will be yours if you can wait about 4 years.
Just keeper away from ferris wheel operators with a stylish beanies.

“I loved that line”

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Erik said...

pman-guilty as charged on the pillow tonguing. as for texas, now there's a state with somewhat more realistic age-of-consent laws. and don't ask me how I knew it was 17. ok, i had to google it. but good thing it's 17, if you know what i'm saying.

mamacita-i thought you were a huge britney fan, this is something of a shock to me.

p.s. did you have a good mother's day? well you deserve it.

blogball-luckily, i'm a patient man.

ok, that was yucky even for me.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Please watch this:
http://www.zipperfish.com/free/butterfield1-pop.html
Let me know what you think about her when it's over.
Lois Lane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home