Not Totally Inept

Breath-takingly insightful, if you're really dumb.

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Let's Rock this [Office Christmas] Party!

There are not many things that can top a company Christmas party, if you don't count every single other thing that has ever existed. The debate surrounding the relative worth of these gatherings has long ceased, and now we must only determine the purpose for their existence. Sure, everyone has a good time making fun of them, and that's probably worth something. But just because I can make fun of cockroaches doesn't mean we should eat more cockroaches, or breed them so we never run out. They are no fun to eat my friends, let me tell you! I ate one once, and if you pressed me on it, I would admit that was the wrong call on my part. My bad on that one.

Ok, so even though that was a clever metaphor I thought of with the cockroaches, the rabbit-hole goes far deeper, twisting and turning. That is another metaphor, but I don't have time to explain every single one. The point is, I've once more done the mental legwork on the office party mystery so that you can save your energy for going to the restroom or eating peanut butter sandwiches, or whatever it is you guys do when you're not here reading stuff and getting smarter.

My hypothesis is that we continue to attend these social train wrecks because we're searching for the perfect office christmas party. Just like unicorns, heterosexual male hairdressers, or real candidates for president, we keep thinking that one must exist somewhere. Well, I have news for y--hey, I think that's a unicorn...

I think the concept of free alcohol also figures prominently. I don't care about that, because drinking is for the devil, but the satan-worshippers in the office seem to enjoy it. The damned have funny ideas sometimes. Anyway, the other incentive that comes to mind is the award ceremony. At my company, the only awards given are for 5, 10, and 15 years of consecutive service. Not dying seems to be the requirement for earning one of these. I guess management would also prefer that you not embezzle noticably large sums of money or use your corporate expense account for hookers, but even those transgressions won't prevent a service award from happening. Trust me on this. Not that I'm complaining, I was not feeling very sexy at all that night, and it's almost like she cared about me. I know that sounds crazy...but enough romantic talk.

When I reflect on last Friday's party, what stands out to me the most, is that, at my date's request, I'm not to call her ever again. I knew things had gone sour when I asked her what she thought of everybody. She started doing this robot-like stiff-walk, complete with choppy, mechanical arm and leg movements. Apparently this was representative of the collective personality and charm of my office mates. So big deal, I'm a robot. I guess me and the other robots will rock you silly at next year's party, which will finally be awesome!

5 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

I have to know, did you photocopy your robot ass? No, this information is not for me! I... am... well, I was going to... Oh, it's a research thing, yeah, yeah, that's it, research! Please respond as soon as robotically possible. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Lois Lane

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

I can't figure out if I am mad with jealousy because your party has satan worshippers and strong drink, or if you are mad with jealousy because my office party happens during the workday, which means 1) no working for part of the day 2) no evening when I could be crocheting wasted and 3) no need to drag InSignificant Other to a party that we both will hate. Hmmmm, I think it's you.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Erik said...

I'll admit, the satan-worshippers are nice. But nothing beats saving valuable crochet-time. Yet again, I lose. This is getting ridiculous.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger The Witch Doctor said...

hmm am I the only one here that has a good christmas party??
I mean its not the greatest but it always seems to sound better than everyone elses...
5 bucks for a 7 course meal, really expensive drinks, free cab rides for the drunken monkies, realy expensive dresses, crappy music, crappy award ceremonies including bad jokes by execs that you HAVE to laugh at... hmmm.. wait a sec...
drunken crochetig sounds really good right about now...
and I gotta go with the first question...
for the sake of research did you or your insignificant other photo copy your butt??

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Erik said...

Sadly, there were no photocopiers in the immediate vicinity. I suggested kinkos, but my date did not seem excited about this. BOR-ING!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home