Not Totally Inept

Breath-takingly insightful, if you're really dumb.

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

I am a warrior

By nature I'm an optimistic guy, at least when compared to such notable historical figures as Friederich Nietzsche or Grouchy Smurf. But seriously, I generally have a pretty good outlook. I believe in love, the inherent goodness of man, and the possibility of Paris Hilton being run over by a bus in my lifetime. As you can see, I'm one of the good guys. But people are always trying to bring me down and do things against me (free tip for readers: if something happens to you that you don't like, it can often help to lose all perspective and blame others for your hardships. This is a life lesson that should serve you well in the future. Cling stubbornly to it as if it were your first born child).

What I'm really getting at is that I played basketball this weekend and sprained my left ankle yet again, an occurrence which has instilled in me the bitter emotional combination of grief and anger. I believe the psychology texts refer to this as the G & A's of well-being. Or I could've made that up just now. Anyway, this combo will make a shambles of your life if you let it. Luckily, I am a warrior of the first order, so this setback is as a tiny anthill to me, nothing more. A tiny, insignificant, approximately 29,000 foot-high anthill.

Am I disappointed? Certainly. But it's not like I'm worried about it. Sure, I have inescapable anxiety attacks, and a seething, unrelenting hatred of myself, followed by thoughts of self-harming, but who doesn't?? Just remember to keep things positive, and stay around your friends, who in general will discourage you from going into your room and cutting again. At least real friends do...I hate those guys...anyway, where were we? Oh yeah, if you feel like giving in, don't feel bad about that. People lose all hope everyday, and you're no different! Life's way too hard anyway, not to mention pointless.


2 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Blogger Rob said...

I'm sorry about your ankle, man.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not quite 40 yrs old and have been playing hockey for the last 10 yrs without an injury. Plus my team is 5-0 and in first place our division.

But wait: I have lied. I did get a conscussion in a game a few yrs ago. For the next couple of months I couldn't have sex without getting a blinding headache. It was a dark time, let me tell you.

But anyway, there you have it -- either way, you can feel good. Or bad, if you want. Excuse me now while I get up an walk around on my pain-free and perfectly-functioning ankles...

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

That really does suck. But I mean, look on the bright side, at least it happened during SPORTS...I mean, imagine how dumb you'd feel if like you hurt it getting out of a hot tub or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home