Not Totally Inept

Breath-takingly insightful, if you're really dumb.

Monday, October 04, 2004

Games!

I was listening to a radio show this morning--the hosts were discussing road trip games they played as kids, and were asking listeners to call in with the ones they enjoyed as children. This made me realize that I need to find a new morning show, but that's not my point. They talked about the classics, such as slug-bug and the alphabet sign game, but there were also a few I hadn't heard of. Ah, I can see this topic has piqued your interest--"lesser known road trip games", the sheer wonderment of it all!

So what struck me was that they all seemed pretty arbitrary. There was one where if you see a car with one headlight out, you either kiss, or hit, your opponent, depending on your relationship with them. Like if it's your sister, you make out with her and if it's your girlfriend, no wait...i messed that up. There's another game wherein both contestants scan the road for cars with wood paneling. If you see one of these, you say, "padiddle", thereby creating instant immunity from corporal punishment. Clever! Anyway, I had never heard of either of these games, and it got me thinking--there are some serious loopholes to be exploited here. Riding with someone you don't like? Make up a game real quick:

"...yeah, if I see a traffic light, or a car, or if I look at my arm right now, I get to strike you repeatedly with my bare fists. While I'm doing this, you must tell me how handsome I am, over and over again. Then the game is over."

If you're cruising along with a girl you're into, and things are not moving quite fast enough for your tastes, you pull out the appropriate game. "What?? You've never heard of '3 way street'? Yeah, whenever I see 11 feet of asphalt, in a continuous stretch without a freeway overpass, you must arrange for us a group date with your hot roommate, and then buy me an iPod. And then the game is over."

Or whatever. The point is, the rules of "3 way street" are up to you, as there's no official governing body for car games. Genius, my friends.

3 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I always thought "padiddle" was the same as the one headlight game. Although one of my friends taught me that you had to hit the dashboard, then the windshield, then the dashboard again as you were saying it. Maybe this was just her way of avoiding getting hit or kissed?? It kind of did make the top of your hand hurt, though...

You should be careful about making up your own games. After a few rounds of "three way street", what's to stop the girl you're into from inventing the "caution diamond" game, where if you see a caution diamond, you have to buy her a diamond ring and marry her. And then the game is over.

You could get into trouble real quick!

Vegas Baby!!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Erik said...

padiddle is probably the one headlight game and i just got confused. i think i got excited and stopped listening when i figured out that anyone can make a car game. oh yeah, and thanks for ruining my fantasy with 'caution diamond'! bummer...
;)

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Erik said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home