Not Totally Inept

Breath-takingly insightful, if you're really dumb.

Monday, September 27, 2004

Observation and mild consternation

Just saw 21 grams recently. A solid piece of film-making, in my humble opinion. You can visit your favorite review site for affirmation or refutation thereof, but I have other points to make. Actually, just one, and it's more of an observation than a full-blown point:

Hollywood loves to portray those who believe in God as kooky fanatics (i.e., Jack Jordan, Benicio Del Toro's character) who are invariably lost and in need of having the real truth revealed to them--either by drastic life-changing events or by morally superior supporting characters. It's usually executed with a degree of subtlety that lets the viewer know who the smart, good characters are (hint: not the church-going ones), without being too heavy-handed about it--and it can be compelling. Indeed, there are some nutty "evangicals" running amok, and who wouldn't want to make fun of them? While the theme is but small sub-text of 21 Grams' overall story, this technique in general is beginning to show signs of age. The misguided zealot can provide an interesting backdrop with which to contrast a film's larger point, but at some point I'd be interested in seeing a new patsy, rather than the classic misguided believer. Maybe every single prominent producer and financier in the movie business will read this post and consider my brilliant wisdom. In fact, I'm surprised I'm not already a highly paid screenwriting editor/consultant. Do they have those? If they do, it seems weird that I'm not one...

p.s. I still want to buy this movie, because that's how in love with it I am. I will even marry it, if it comes to that.

1 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Rob said...

we demand more posts.
i also thot 21 grams was a strong movie.
the end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home