Not Totally Inept

Breath-takingly insightful, if you're really dumb.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A new year is upon us, my simple friends. That's right, it's a little something I like to call "2006", and it's all up in your grill. Looking back, 2005 was a year that changed all of us. And when it was all said and done, we discovered that we share one common trait. Exactly, you read my mind, we're all human. I'm fairly certain there is also a small cyborg population living among us, but their numbers are relatively few, and they mostly keep to themselves. Disclosing this information in any sort of public forum would most likely earn me a quick trip to Guantanamo, so keep a lid on it. The overall point is, most of us are humans. And not cyborgs.

Yet, even though we're not cyborgs, the old year is still over--and now we're at the point where many of us feel a strange and inexplicable obligation to reflect on the events of 2005, in a totally transparent attempt to convince ourselves that we 1) can even remember what in the H happened, 2) have a vague understanding of it, and 3) will do everything so much better this year because we're way smarter now, and we promise not to watch so much MTV.

Ok, not really, but onto the reflecting. We'll start with the current political administration. For the morbidly curious, this did not change. To their credit, this administration did announce they might consider possibly making a coherent foreign policy decision at some point in the very near future, which looks a little bit like actual change, if you squint your eyes, tilt your head, and then poke both of your eyes out. Nothing against the Republicans, I'm politically neutral. (Confidential to Dems: I want to have your baby). Hey, I'm only playing around. If the first letter of a country starts with a letter, I say invade.

There were other changes as well. Some of these were mundane (disappearance of an entire city), and some were ushered in with much fanfare and positive energy (my underwear change in early September). Some of you probably had a sex change, for all I know. This means there was something you have now which you didn't before, or you took some stuff away. Either one is cool, if you think about it for a long time. Even then, it's only cool in a bizarre and twisted way, but whatever, I think we're mostly on the same page with that one. Aside from those treasured moments where some of you went under the knife and changed your bits all around, there were additional events that made 2005 special, and now I will list every single one of them.

A Year of Scientific Progress

I remember seeing an article about researchers isolating cancer-causing genes, and on the adjacent page there was a different article about Jessica Alba's new movie, Into The Blue, so I read that instead. I haven't seen the movie yet, but my fear is there might be a part where Jessica Alba dives into the water, and her entire bikini doesn't fall off. (Cancer subnote: I think those scientists ended up curing most types of the major cancers. Which I think is very helpful.)

A Year of Multiple Celebrities Being Impregnated

You know the names by now. Jennifer Garner, Britney Spears, Denise Richards, and some other women who wanted at one time to be with me, but I would not commit. Anyway, the pregnancies were so awesome, because we learned that in addition to being famous, these women also have ovaries! And fallopian tubes! If people are so blown away by this, maybe I'll just get a sex change, too. Goodness knows, it seems to be working for most of you.

A Year of Cocaine Snorting, By Models

If there's one thing we learned this year, it's that lear jets and private islands are boring, so you have to spice things up by snorting a little of the white magic. Look at Kate Moss. She did it, and the only downside for her was that she lost a multi-million dollar modeling contract. So I ask you, is it really worth it not to spice things up? It's clearly not, which means that in her particular situation, you have one and only one option: Snort that coke like it's the last coke you'll ever see. I hope you see the moral lesson there, because honestly, I'm struggling...let me know.

Looking ahead, I'm definitely seeing some areas where I could improve. I'll be the first one to admit that. My Halo sniping skills are woeful, and my knowledge of the new maps is shaky at best. But those are some of the things I'm committed to learning about over time. If I play 3 hours a day, that's 1092 xbox hours over the course of a year. I know what you're thinking, that would be impressive. Yes, it would, and I challenge every one of you to join me, because I know you want to. C'mon, don't be a little baby about it, let's just play xbox all the time. If you were willing for this, I think we might have the best year ever.

p.s. I said might

19 Comments:

At 6:13 AM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

pregnancy has been called the new yoga. all the cool kids are doing it.

not me, because i'm intelligent enough (unlike some people you mentioned) to realize that being pregnant and having a baby usually results in having a baby. and sometimes it's frowned upon to leave your baby in the rain (please see erik's own post from mid-to-late october) so you have to take care of it.

and REALLY unlike some of the people you mentioned, i know that just because he's male doesn't mean he'll be a good father. in fact, he may have some other kids that he's treated in a deadbeat way, and that usually doesn't set a good precedent. and he's really not even all that good-looking or smart or even a good dancer.

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you combine all the trends you can come up with a new fad for 2006.

city destruction + Jessica Alba + pregnancy + coke snorting + cancer genes

addicted babies with cancer go on a city rampage in Alba-esque bikinis.

I think I'm on to something. I'll share my first million with y'all.

xwtakmm.

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Erik,

Reading your resolution to play more xbox inspired me in many ways. I want to be a better sniper, too, and plan to play all but three hours a day. 21hr x 365 = 7665 hours. I estimate I'll be a level 97 but mid April! Then I will throw a sticky grenade at your feet and it will look like your foot is glowing...for a short time.

You may be saying "Not sew phast(sp?), funny man. Leave the comedy to me". Ok, fair enough. Each of us have our strengths. Although, I think a level 97 looks pretty sweet on a resume. Plus, I doubt I'll ever have to answer an interview question about my blog.

Commenting on you blog is probably not to proper forum for these types of statements so I will just say your last two postings are cracking me like a pipe over here. ok bye. super Tea dowg

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

cyborgs, huh?

interesting hypothesis, I'll take into consideration.

do you watch battlestar galactica(did I even spell that right?)...cause that is what you're totally reminding me of.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Erik said...

heather, who are you talking about in the last paragraph? because my fathering skills would blow most people's out of the water, i think. so...just...ok?

erin-i'm going to keep my eyes peeled for that fad you mentioned. in fact, i think i've already seen a couple cancer babies earlier this week. they looked like posers, though.

Super Tea dowg-I take see your challenge of 7665 hours of xbox, and raise you one thousand additional hours. i think you will find that tough to beat, so nice try.

ashley, i watched some battlestar galactica way back in the day, but if there's a new one, i haven't seen it. sounds like it has cyborgs, though, which means i'm probably missing out on something. maybe you can send all the episodes to me. thanks!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

erik, just fyi, i was actually thinking about the k-fed and his fatherness. since your dancin' skills' reputation precedes you and your mom and i both think you're quite handsome, i really couldnm't have been talking about you anyway.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

and did i mention you've never officially confirmed whether you are a father or not? because that would be the other thing to eliminate you from the running.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

and one last thing (it'd be better if i had all my thoughts at once - really do your comments need padding?)

i don't recall ever questioning his (or your) fathering skills, it's the parenting skills that have me worried.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger jay are said...

I'm especially interested in all these countries that start with letters that are now going to get blown up. Great. What next.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Rob said...

so speaking of jennifer alba:
my son (13) is watching a movie that contains a shot of JA swimming underwater in a bikini. as she swims past the camera at a range of two feet, he says matter-of-factly, "i want one of those..."

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger jay are said...

hmmm, Bryan. Did you dare ask for clarification?
I'm sure he was talking about the underwater camera. I mean, every boy wants one.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

i sort of [heart] bryan for not knowing her first name is jessica.

unless he was too busy looking at her bikini-clad-ness to bother learning her name. then, we're having a fight.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

erik, have you checked your stats lately?

because people have stopped commenting...

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger CC said...

Into the Blue was disappointing.
...But then, I only saw like 10 minutes of it....

also: http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/073004/old-part-3.gif

this is your favourite niece btw.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Rob said...

oops. i did actually know her name was jessica, but i forgot for a second. i knew i shouldn't post right after smoking a big bag of crack.
but she doesn't appeal to me at all. nubile young latina women with incredible bottoms wearing bikinis and wriggling around in the water make me feel ill, actually...

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

me too.

but for different reasons, most likely.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

*cough*twentysevendays*coughcough*

i should get a cough supressant or something...

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Erik said...

that was 27 days?? it felt like 2! just goes to show that you lose your sense of time when you go on a month-long coke bender. no more drugs for me, i'm telling you!!

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jessica alba #1 link as "long-term relationship material." can't remember what part of your original post referred to ja but thought this s/b included as a comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home