Not Totally Inept

Breath-takingly insightful, if you're really dumb.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Even People With Dentures Can Be Taught New Things

I'm not going to lie. When you read this story, you may find yourself questioning my decision to push an elderly man into a wicker laundry basket at Target yesterday. As if I need an excuse, am I right you guys?? Old people, I swear! I'm not even attracted to them!! It all started when he was walking in front of me going negative 1 miles per hour. Now, the last time I checked, most modern societies require that you should at least know how to walk before going out in public. One of the most basic rules for walking is that you need to actually LIFT each foot off the ground before you start trying to move it in front of the other one. You don't get to just slide your feet across the floor. If all you're doing is sliding, then you can slide both of those wrinkled things across the floor directly to the nearest nursing home, and walk like a brain-damaged penguin over there. Target is simply not the place for it. If you don't want to use any turn signals on the way to mall, I suppose that's your prerogative. But once you've arrived at your intended shopping destination (if you even remember where that is), it'd be nice if you could walk normally. Not too much to ask.

Another request which I find perfectly reasonable, is for old people not to set up an FBI roadblock with their cart on every single aisle. I've got candle-holders on my right, wicker baskets on my left, and directly in front of me, a nearly inanimate human with an ungodly number of prostate exams under his belt. Willfully flouting all known definitions of "walk". The way I saw it, I could either slide past him carefully and give him a little elbow, or slide past without giving an elbow. Let's just say it was elbow Tuesday.

What, I couldn't help it! Before you get all hot around the collar, perhaps you'll allow me the small courtesy of explaining where I'm coming from, so you can support my actions. What it comes down to is, I don't have any patience or self-control, and I lash out like a manic person when things aren't going my way. Just to give you an idea, I'll ram a cop car if the situation is right, and have done so several times in the past. You might see this as counter-productive to the general goal of not being arrested, but I don't see it that way. What I see are red anger blotches in my brain, which leave me no choice but to react. With swift violence. Now that I've shown what I'm capable of during extreme situations, can you see why I have no qualms about assaulting an elderly person? Oh really...well how can you call the police when you haven't even finished reading my story? C'mon, be serious.

What I hope you've learned from this is that someday you'll be old and ripe-smelling, too. You know that indefinable musty smell? That's the one I'm talking about. Anyway, you'll be absent-mindedly browsing for some stupid picture frame you don't need, and I'll come out of nowhere and just give you a mighty shove. So keep your head on a swivel. Mom, that goes for you, too. As you're aware, I'm quite fond of you and the sacrifices you've made for our family, but you haven't exactly been setting olympic records for walking speed lately. I've seen flashes of potential and some definite improvement since you started Pilates, but you're still coming up a little shy of the mark.

p.s. If it makes anyone feel better, the wrinkled man eventually pulled himself out of the wicker basket, and sprayed me with mace. Then I tasered him. Luckily, security stepped in before things got out of hand. He was a battler, I'll give him that.

p.p.s. For the rest of you: Just because you wasted a few minutes reading something of questionable literary and moral value that's tasteless and is in no way factual, remember this: Some guy for the New York Times fabricated sources, quotes, and sometimes entire stories, and he did it for several months on end. So quell your angry impulses. Without impulse-control, we are the same as the animals. Which is exactly what you're being right now.

12 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

AHHHHHHHH, we can comment again, I can't tell you what a relief that is.

I live in a town with it's very own "Seizure Village" (Leisure village, but my way is funnier). One time I was approached by a geezer and told that "we" (young people) need to respect "them" (geezers) because even if we want them to just go away, they're not gonna. All I could think was, "how did she know what I was thinking?"

Actually, I thought, "what the hell did I do" - it turned out that someone almost ran her over in a car and then honked at her, and she wanted to bitch to someone about it. I happened to be walking by, and I had a baby in my arms, and who doesn't want to see a baby.

Erik, if you want more chicks, get a baby. Although if only using the baby to get chicks, I highly recommend borrowing one, rather than getting one of your own.

Where did I start, and how did I end up here.....

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

how do you know how many prostate exams he's had? in san diego do they make you wear a punch card on your wrist? what kind of a weird, kinky town did you move to?

and lisa's totally right about getting a baby. just don't steal one, that doesn't go over well. temporarily borrow one with a promise to bring him/her back.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Second on the borrowing thing. Your own babies (mine, anyway) turn into teenagers, and I'm finding them to be date-repellers, not attracters. When girls I'm hitting on realize my daughter's in their grade, they start treating me like Creepy Old Guy for some reason.
Then they elbow me into the candle holders.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Which I think is uncalled for BTW as I haven't had even one prostate exam.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Erik said...

bryan, i whole-heartedly agree. it's like i told this girl the other day, who is still in jr. high. if you don't want me to ask you out on dates anymore, that's fine--but there's no reason to involve your school principal, who is likely going to be a stickler about the age thing. let's deal with this like adults, you know? or in your case, like a young adult.

hf-it's not a punch card system, they actually give you a tattoo on your forearm after each new exam. somewhat weird, yes, but prostate exams are important.

p.s. in case you forgot, you're currently living in ny. let's go easy on the weird, kinky accusations. :)

lisa-you should've said, "not going away, huh? well define what you mean by that, because in a second you're going to be going away to dreamland!" then you introduce her to your elbow, case closed. there are probably other ways to handle that situation, but with my method you get tangible results you can actually see.

so, borrow a baby, get more chicks. 10-4 on that. maybe i'll just give birth to one myself, start thinking outside the box a little.

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Countdown to Serenity: Firefly, Episode 1
We open on perhaps the most awkward scene in the entire series. This forced bit of backstory, showing Mal Reynolds and Zoe during the war for independence against the Alliance is the most ham-handed bit of the ...
I love the way you've put this blog together!

I have a shabby chic chandelier site. Its all about shabby chic chandelier related topics...

Hope to see you there...

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Yaymee said...

While sitting here, reading your blog, I had a quick little day dream:

The young unite against the old. We no longer have to put up with -1mph people in Targets across America! But in the daydream, after reading your blog and seeing that we have organized against them, the old people unite too. In Target, they begin to trip all people under 35 with their canes, walkers, whatever that have! We young people try to push them back! It's war...chaos...all inside your neighborhood Target! In this dream, I innocently go into Target to pick up a nice smelling candle, but come out with a sprained ankle and a broken pinkie finger.

Scary daydream, huh? But then I realized I have nothing to fear - old people don't read blogs - they don't have computers! Ahhh, the world is going to be alright.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

yaymee, something's been eating the houseplants. any chance it's you? :)

erik, re:
>p.s. in case you forgot, you're currently living in ny. let's go easy on the weird, kinky accusations. :)

i have no response to that. (!!) remind me to send you a shiny penny as your reward on this momentous occasion.

re: >10-4 on that. maybe i'll just give birth to one myself, start thinking outside the box a little.

i have FAR too many responses to that and none of them for mixed company. :)

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Erik said...

yaymee-i love your dream of warring factions, young and old, just going to town on each other. but we can't achieve this dream if we all just sit and home and don't go to target and beat up old people. unite, young ones!!

rebecca-i tried out your idea on an old woman, even though you
sort of advised against it. turns out she's into the rough stuff, and now we're dating!!! thanks!

hf, you're probably not ever going to send me a shiny penny, are you ? you may as well admit that there will be no penny, it would be much easier on my emotions if you were to come clean from the start.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

i've got a shiny penny with your name on it (well, if your name is something like "one cent" who is obviously fitty's lil brother) but i'm just waiting for an address to send it to...

and waiting and waiting...

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Erik said...

:-) you actually sent me a penny, that pretty much rules. it's one of the best ones i've ever seen, i don't mind telling you. and 2002, a rare vintage!

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

HEY! you got the shiny penny!

see? you thought i'd leave you high and dry in the penny department.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home