Not Totally Inept

Breath-takingly insightful, if you're really dumb.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Weakness and Surrender Cannot Be Taught, You Must Slowly Succumb To Them

Tennessee Williams once said, "There is a time of departure even when there's no certain place to go." What this means is you should quit and run away if you encounter even small, unimposing obstacles. Focus on all that is cowardly within you, and run. Run like a scared fawn, off into the quiet of the forest and then be very still. Afterwards, you can just lie there, or starve to death, or whatever you want. The important part is quitting and running away from your problems.

Let's take my career for example, the one I no longer have because I quit it last week. Yeah, you heard me right. And If I somehow had a second job, I'd quit that one, too, like a bad habit. It's my new thing. If I had a time machine, I'd go into the future and quit all my jobs in advance, that's how committed I am. Please understand, there's no shame in giving up. There's also no money, but as we've learned, it's the giving up that's important. No, you won't be able to buy any food without a job, that's a given. Your immune system will eventually shut down, and soon people will mistake you for a skeleton. Then your heart will just sort of...stop. Ominous, yes, but also the inevitable consequence of not eating food for a long time. However, there's great freedom in this--the freedom of not having a pulse anymore, which is the greatest freedom of all.

You may ask, how can I just give up? It's so easy! Even as a child, it came naturally to me. I don't care if it was kickball or red rover, I would either call everyone else a cheater and quit, or simply sit down during the middle of the game and quit. A more recent example is when a college friend said to me, "Hey, let's both try to have successful lives." To this day, I have no idea what my friend was talking about. Did he completely forget that I had no real character, or follow-through? Yeah, I'll let you guess how the whole 'successful life' quest ended up. Actually, I'll just tell you, it ended with me quitting. I think the only reason I managed to graduate from college was because I was very naive and had not yet discovered the power that is available to us when we embrace ineffectiveness and futility. That, and I forged the majority of my transcripts. Changing all of my records to more closely resemble an academic history which didn't include failing out of every class certainly helped--I won't lie about that. Other things, sure, I will lie about them. But this one thing I'm talking about right now, I just don't feel like lying about it, so I won't. Anyway, I'd rather talk about failure, because that's my passion.

I think my position on quitting and failure can best be summed up like this: I'm in love with it, and now that I know how liberating it is, I will stay the course until I have absolutely nothing left. If I haven't lost everything by the time I'm 35, I shall count that as failure. Which is like a win-win, now that I think about it. However, I would prefer to be well below the poverty line, with no actual possessions. True, I still have this computer I'm typing on, but if I had anything to say about it, it would be smashed into tiny pieces. Hold on, let me smash the screen in with my fist. If I do that, it will be even better than having nothing, because glass will be everywhere, and I'll be on the ground, twitching grotesquely in the final throes of electrocution. I think you would agree, going out like that could safely be classified as unsuccessful. Which is
the whole point.

In closing, I'm impetuous, occasionally disorganized, and my grasp on reality is tenuous at best. Does anyone know of any companies who consistently engage in absurd, counter-productive hiring practices? Because I desperately need a job, any job. More importantly, though, I desperately need to quit that job--I'm starting to get the shakes over here.

7 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

i like your fawn and forest image. it's very poetic. almost magnetically so.

anyhow, i'm joining your ranks of unemployed and homeless! hurrah!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger unca said...

Well said! Failure and surrender have always been underrated in my book. Good luck (if that's the appropriate phrase) to you.
"If at first you don't succeed, try one more time and then give up; there's no reason to make a fool of yourself." -- words to live by.

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna pretend that I didn't even read this. Let's use your foodstamps to buy groceries!

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Erik said...

heatherfeather-congratulations on being a transient with me, it's really not that bad. actually, i can't say for sure yet, my last day is next week. wanna dumpster dive?

unca-i'm glad you're with me on this. it must be genetic!

eric-well, apparently i can't buy cigarettes with 'em (that was a fine how-do-you-do last night at the mini-mart), so why not?

p.s. i don't really smoke cigarettes, mom

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Rob said...

well, i know i'm inspired...

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you by any chance live in Portland, Oregon? Because if you do, there is a girl friend of mine that I want to hook you up with. Your loquaciousness would make her drool. -e-

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Erik said...

shoot, didn't see this before. this portland lass was probably my future wife, and i messed it all up.

i don't live in portland, but does your friend want to move to san diego? i would use some of my guitar skills, playing black sabbath on the beach while reading my blog posts to her. i would have no problems doing that for her, ok? you tell her that.

thanks for the hookup!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home