Not Totally Inept

Breath-takingly insightful, if you're really dumb.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Bush Vows To Stay The Course, Stay On Vacation

Bush Defends Decision To Sort Of "Put War on Back Burner"

(AP) Donnelly, Idaho -- Yesterday, amid sagging public approval of this administration's stance on the Iraq war, President Bush held an impromptu media session from the bow of Gov. Dirk Kempthorne's fishing boat. Advisors apparently did not allow the President to re-enact Leonardo's "king of the world" scene from Titanic.

Some critics have suggested that Bush is trying to end the war in Iraq by pretending it doesn't exist, while others assert he's forgotten about the war altogether. The focus was on Bush's decision to continue his vacation in Donnelly, the small resort town where he spent a large percentage of his time thinking up new ways to execute anti-war demonstrators for treason.

"I think pulling out of the Idaho Rockies, where I'm currently catching fish the size of Rhode Island, would be a colossal mistake. These babies are biting like there's no tomorrow, and if I were to quit now, I think I might always regret it."

One reporter asked Bush for his thoughts on the rapidly decreasing support for the war, or if he knew that the war was still on.

"Yes, I realize some combat operations are happening here and there. You guys constantly remind me of that, so it's not like I all of a sudden forgot. It's this simple: Even if I wanted to skip this afternoon's mountain-biking adventure, which I don't, it would be an act of gross negligence to do so. Not only would it be bad for the safety of our citizens in the long-term, it would also be bad, and subtract from, the amount of fun I'm able to have in the short term. And I bet you didn't think I knew the word 'negligence', either. Well I do, and that's not going to change no matter how much you seem to hate America."

Bush then addressed the general fish populace as "squirrelly little devils" who hate the Iraqi people, freedom, and babies.

In the afternoon, Bush again spoke with reporters, this time from Tamarack lodge, where a biking tour was being organized. Without prompting, Bush extolled the virtues of the recreational equipment on hand.

"These mountain bikes are top-notch, I mean really unbelievable. Especially the Peugots, I wouldn't be surprised if they were built by American soldiers. May they rest in peace."

A short time later, the President could be heard arguing with a resort employee concerning the country in which the Peugots were manufactured.

"...no, my young friend--these bikes have American craftsmanship written all over them. Even the name sounds American if you pronounce it with a hard G. A navy seal probably built this one with a hunting knife, may he rest in peace."

Not everyone has been so quick to condemn Bush's choice to explore every single mountain biking trail in the state of Idaho. Francis Williams, political science professor at the University of California at Berkeley, notes that most of Bush's staff probably didn't even notice he was gone in the first place.

"Sure, if they realized he hadn't been in any morning briefings for the last 4 weeks straight, there might be a controversy here. But as it stands, I'm betting it hasn't even dawned on them yet. Let's not make this into something it isn't."

At one point, the President was asked about his seemingly laissez faire attitude toward both the Iraq occupation, and everyone in the entire universe who wasn't him.

"Look, I'm trying to lend a certain prioritization schedule to things. Right now, the war isn't something I'm particularly interested in. Who knows, in a couple hours, I might care again. But let's deal with that when, and if, it happens. In all likelihood, I'll still be biking a couple hours from now, and won't want to fuss with it.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I would like to honor some deceased troops by popping a wheelie. Watch out, son."

20 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

how can one argue with the concept that fish are indeed "squirrely little devils"?

i'm not a fan of baby-haters, however, so i'm anti-fish these days.

in fact, i just landed a sweet (and by "sweet," i mean low-paying) job as a nanny, so any babyhating fish in denver aren't allowed to visit me during working hours.

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Erik said...

i will make sure they don't come around at that time.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

thanks. you're a doll.

a manly doll, of course. like a GI Joe or Ken.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Yaymee said...

You know, Erik, I think Bush also took some time off yesterday ignoring... I mean...umm.... pondering the war to write me a very personalized letter welcoming me to Peace Corps. And I know what you may say... "Amy, he didn't personally write it, they just printed his signature onto a preform letter!" But, you would be wrong. George and I are great friends, and he took time out of his busy holiday in Idaho to write to me. Thinking about the war AND writing to me AND fishing - now that is one hard job! You can't do all of that in one day!

Oh, and Heather, is a Ken doll really that manly? If I remember correctly, Ken most certainly didn't have any you-know-what.

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger particleman said...

so when do you start your new job at Reuters?

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

yayms, we weren't going to bring that up. it's a sensitive issue.

besides, i just wrote that because i was still waiting for erik to email me.

oh wait, he still hasn't.

ahem.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

I have nothing more to contribute other than, hurry up and post again!
Lois Lane

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read this, and was intrigued, so i read a ton of your old posts too. i laughed until i thought my face was going to break apart. then i realized you are insane. i realized also that the fact that i enjoy your entries so much indicates that i aswell am insane. thank you for helping me come to this realization.

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your skills as an investigatory reporter are quite sharp. I think what really sets you apart is not your ability to get the story but more importantly how you weave into it interesting character facts thus giving the story credibitility and personality! That part is my favorite.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Rob said...

"Credibitility" is what I go for in a news story, too.
Mostly because it makes me think of breasts.
Okay, that's all I have for right now.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

i agree with lois.

it's autumn (virtually) and therefore time to fall into posting.

see the bad jokes i'm left with?!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Rob said...

And I'd like to know what makes you think it's even remotely acceptable to go into your third week without a post?

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

erik: ditto what bryan says. (bryan's the one who told me about your blog -- very funny & edgy, your blog, I mean [ok, bryan is *sometimes* :-)].)

btw: have you heard of/read Calvin Trillin's book "Obliviously On He Sails" re "W"? all written in rhyme. some of it is pretty dated (from election 2000) but pretty funny overall.

si

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

It is now the end of week three. The natives are getting restless. Rumors fly that Erik-with-a-K has a job. Could this be what keeps him from posting?

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

maybe he has taken several wives and finds himself busy with keeping them from finding out about each other...

man, that san diego's a pretty weird place if you ask me...

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just commenting to let you know that Britney Spears had a baby. New post new post new post! Pretty please?

 
At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking of a man taking several wives reminds me of a joke, which i will now inflict on you. and you'll lap it up, because we're all so anxious for another post from erik that we'll read any old crap that someone posts in the comments section...

so anyway, 6 women and 1 man are stranded on a desert island. they work out a system by which each woman has him for one day per week, with saturdays as his one day off. at first the guy is thrilled with this arrangement, but he finds that these particular six women are exceptionally healthy and enthusiastic -- after a few months he's starting to feel a bit worn out. in fact, when one day he sees a raft drifting in to shore, he's delighted to see a man on it. now, he thinks, i can slow down a little -- three days a week should be much more manageable, and i'll be able to get a little rest.
but as the man on the raft draws nearer, he gives a swishy wave and lisps "well, hello there, ssailor!"

the man on the beach shakes his head sadly and mutters, "Well, there goes my Saturdays..."

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

You following Bush and staying the course, Vacation Boy??? Friggin' post already! (yes you are here for my humor now hurry up!)
Lois Lane

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

maybe he's waiting for the next administration because he's been stifled by the current one.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Erik said...

you guys amuse me, i'll say that for you. :) thanks for the prodding, i feel loved.

yaymee-I think it's neat that you and W have a pen-pal thing going now. if you get the chance, ask him if he has any plans to ever not suck. just kidding republicans!
george is a straight-shooter--he can't read, but he's a straight shooter.

eric with a c-i have always thought that without credibitility, a journalist has nothing. :) thanks for the kind words.

bryan-everything makes you think of breasts, have you noticed that? ;-)

hf-it's been said that one wife is too many. let me work up slowly! p.s. i'm a sensitive male, yes, but ken doll is almost certainly gay. i wanna be GI Joe, if it's all the same to you.

pman-reuters called and said they were very impressed with my fact-checking and research, and could i start immediately. i turned them down, of course, because obviously i have to maintain this site. that's just business. sorry, reuters.

anonymous-it's true, i'm pretty far gone. fortunately, no doctor has been able to determine what my problem is, exactly. so i remain free. i'm sorry about your face splitting into separate pieces. thanks for stopping by, please come back. p.s. i haven't read that Trillin book, but maybe now i will, how about that?

erin-correction: Britney Spears had MY baby.

lois-i know nothing else but that your needs may be satisfied.

lisa-indeed. but guess who's baa-aaaack???? me!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home