Not Totally Inept

Breath-takingly insightful, if you're really dumb.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

I'm going to recount a touching personal experience of mine right now. This story is about self-discovery. But not the sexual kind, so tough luck, perverts.

At the gym I belong to, there is a separate, smallish room with a speed bag and two heavy bags. When you are in this room, you can see a door to yet another room. No one knows what lies beyond this second door, because of the legend of the demon-child who will rip your face off and steal your soul if you enter. Actually, that's not true. I've been in there several times, and I didn't see anyone like that. Mostly I just wanted you to stay alert. So in this second room there is an area in which to stretch one's lithe muscles, or just flail about randomly on the floor. Last week I was in the second room stretching, when I heard two individuals enter the boxing room. Judging by the ear-splitting racket, the younger man's goal was to destroy all of the equipment in 25 seconds or less. I believe he succeeded. Nonetheless, the stuff he was saying was pretty funny.

"Bam-Bam-Bam-Bam! watch watch, I'm Box-O, the King Boxer and I will box your lights out and then I will box your eyes out!--Duh-Da-Dah!! No one can beat me, I will crush you like a tiny beetle! You are a tiny beetle and I'm crushing you! If the two things were a beetle and something larger, I would be the larger thing that is crushing you!!"

I had to smile, because I think everyone can identify with sacrificing every last shred of their dignity for the sake of a laugh. No? Just me? That's cool. Anyway, it was really great, because he was acting funny in much the same way that I myself might act funny. You know how that goes, even if your sense of humor is total crap, you can bond with others who are similarly defective. That's why this post isn't very funny to you. My sense of humor is very advanced, almost TOO advanced.

Meanwhile, Box-O/King Boxer continues to remark on his various positive attributes:

"Duh-Da-Dah--I'm a champion! No one can hit this puncher bag as fast as me, I am also a lightning bolt! Do you dare challenge me? Who is it that challenges me?"

2nd voice (softly, wearily): "No one's challenging you, Christopher".

This response, to what I thought was a fairly humorous (and potentially valid) question, struck me as odd. So I got up and went into the other room, to ascertain the identity of spunky adolescent's grumpy companion, and maybe congratulate the young man on his comedic talent. It was then I realized that not only was he afflicted with the same sense of humor I was, he was also afflicted with Down's syndrome. Yes, I'm being serious.

Now there are a few ways to deal with this type of realization. The first is to question yourself, and your IQ. I had always assumed it was above 40, but now my childhood nickname "little 40" started to make more sense. But then I thought, you know what? It doesn't matter if people think I'm mentally disabled, as long as they laugh. They don't even have to laugh with me, even pointing and jeering derisively is okay. Laughter is what's important, not whether or not I know how to wipe myself.

9 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Now THA'S what I'm talkin about! Teriffic stuff. That sound you hear is me laughing out loud while my daughter looks at me like I'm weird. Which I am. But at least my nickname was "Little 60", not "Little 40".
I know I had a point when I started this.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

DO you know how to wipe yourself?

i'm just asking since the question was thrown out there, i'm not here to judge.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Erik said...

swandive-i'm not gonna sit here and say i never need assistance, but i'm coming along. most of the time i get the job done, let's just leave it at that.

bryan-when they nicknamed you, they were rounding WAY up, trust me.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Blogball said...

This is an interesting post.
Erik, to be able to shed all of your inhabitations like someone with Down Syndrome is really a gift. When I watch people with what we call mental handicaps there is a sense of freedom about them. I think all people can learn from this.

 
At 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are very brave.My dear...brave, brave little forty.I want you to know that I have one hand over my heart,as I drink my beer...and..as the emotion wells up in me, I raise my hand in salu..Oh shit I spilled my fuckin' beer!
Goddamn little...little Goddamn 40!I hope you get shinsplints in your knuckles from punching that bag you stupid little bastard!

 
At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry-really-that was wrong.If one can be banned,please don't ban me.Didn't read it 'til AFTER it was posted.No excuses,just realize that you're not as funny as you think you are after breaking into the "cabinet" when you've already had a pop or two.I should've known not to mess with the master."One need not compete, to find oneness with the creator."
From one who is truly not worthy(and forever repentent).May peace be with You.You crazy bastard.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Erik said...

'brave little forty' :)

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

This is so funny. I completely agree that what he said sounds just like something you would say. And you both sound like something out of an Onion article. Did he really say "You are a tiny beetle and I'm crushing you! If the two things were a beetle and something larger, I would be the larger thing that is crushing you!!" or did you juice that up for added drolliciousness?

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Erik said...

I don't think he said those exact words, but whatever he was saying was funnier than anything I could've thought of anyway. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home