Not Totally Inept

Breath-takingly insightful, if you're really dumb.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Howdy-Doody citizens, and welcome to a new month. You're probably thinking, "great, it's a new month, I'm not impressed." If this is indeed your attitude, perhaps you should consider the international implications, as dozens of countries across the globe are now enjoying a different month. Even insignificant village people, in some cases. Here at home, it signifies a new 30-day period in which Britney Spears might pull her dress up over her head, take pictures of herself, and email them to People Magazine. More importantly, though, it signifies a new opportunity for me to complain about three parking tickets I got within a 4-hour time frame. I doubt you can beat that, but if you can, that seems strange to me, because logically it doesn't make any sense to intentionally best someone's record for consecutive parking tickets.

Anyway, the first was for parking on the street on the 9th Sunday of the ides of March, or something equally cryptic. I never really figured it out, which probably means I'll have about 8 more tickets by morning. The second ticket was for liking techno music (guilty as charged), and the third and final ticket was for something like not knowing the exact date of Charlegmagne's death. Ok, that's not actually what the ticket said. I don't know what it said, because I was sick of looking at tickets by the time I got done with the second one. I'm pretty sure the third ticket is just a polaroid of the officer giving me the bird.

Ah, but all is not lost, as the city recently sent me a notice about the tickets, and what to do in order to appeal them. Since I'm still a little unclear about when the ides are, or why anyone would care, I figure my best bet is to focus on the ticket about Charlemagne. Ok, I'm only being sardonic again. It is a virtual certainty that all three tickets are for the same basic offense, being too stupid to know where to park. Needless to say, I'm not too stoked about my chances at winning an appeal. I'm supposed to 'include a map or diagram of the street or parking structure, in order to more clearly state my case.' Since I don't really have a case, I'm not all that excited about expounding on that point and really driving it home. However, everyone knows that the best defense is a good offense. Thus, I think it prudent strategy to create a diagram which is a little more aggressive, in order to catch the imperialists off-guard. Here's what I'm thinking about sending in, roughly:


That's right, it's me brandishing a pirate's main weapon of choice, the cutlass. If that doesn't put the reader on full alert, I don't know what will. I still need a caption, though. My first option is something along these lines: "Expunge any record of these parking infractions or taste my unforgiving steel!" Somewhat sexually-charged, but still very effective.

My second option would be something like, "I'll cut you, dirty pig. No tickets!"

And then finally, I will say, it is my opinion that I don't want any of these parking tickets. Thank you.

p.s. I'll cut you.

If you think I should be a foreign diplomat too, just sit there at your computer and don't do anything for 1 straight second. Wow, thanks! Yeah, I think I'm pretty good, too. Talk to you guys later--from the American Embassy in North Korea that is! That I'll create!

11 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

be careful of making terrorist threats to government agencies, kiddo.

if you do, i'll cut you.

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a parking ticket (and a tow!) for parking in the "SAFE ZONE," in the Panhandle district of SF, while visiting a certain MBA named Dan, who insisted that that side of Oak St one block up from his condo on the corner of Oak and Broderick was "definitely in the SAFE ZONE."

His having an MBA from Harvard, and a brand-new condo in SF, and I being the impressionable young thing that I am, created a scenario in which I beleived he knew his stuff. So I parked, was subsequently ticketed and towed, and woke up to a four hour long, four hundred dollar endeavor to recover my Geo.

Gotta love the methods our cities use to fund the infrastructure.

P.S. Don't get me wrong. When it comes to financial consultation snafus, Dan is your man. I'm just saying you might wanna go out on your own when looking for parking next time you visit him.

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

last month my insurance co sent me a letter about getting a certain number (7) of tickets in a given period of time, and how it made them all angsty and nervous and not wanting to insure me any more or some such bull****.
i'm like, Hello-o, you're an insurance company, that's what you *do*...
but anyway that's for the kind of ticket you get when you're moving*, not parking, so maybe it's not relevant at this time.

a while ago when my GF hadn't been in this country as long, her friend's car got towed on some parking technicality and in total sincerity she called the tow company and said "Hi, you guys towed my friend's car, could you bring it back now?"
She's so sweet...


*(briskly)

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger si said...

new month = a brand new erik post (yay!). 30+ days -- hmm, about the right length of time between, i'd say. :)

where i work, we used to be able to park by the building (looong past that privilege now). there would be a parking enforcement officer marking tires every 2 hours. so most of the time we'd just move (roll back) our cars on our breaks and lunch hours. one time i forgot (or went to a meeting or something) and i got 4 (FOUR) tickets in ONE day! that could be your next goal -- see how many tickets you could get in a single day.

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

si, i'm just curious about where your employer expects employees to park now. as far as i can tell, there's not a lot of places nearby for the 100 or so (?) employees who work in your building to actually put their cars, which seems like a flaw to me...

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger si said...

bryan: are you *trying* to get me riled? yes, i think you are...

as you well know, we have to park in the hinterlands now. having to brave the elements; our lives in danger from unobservant drivers and the extra folk that like to hang around our area. oh, and we've had vandalism to our cars also (in broad daylight). BUT no worrying about timed-parking tickets!! we're so lucky.

THANK YOU for bringing this up. i'm sure erik thanks you too.

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My, what vociferous ticketing! I thought everybody was, all, like, surfer-chill over there, dude. When I lived in desperately poor Baltimore everyone just expected constant parking tickets. My grad school friends were always borrowing money from each other to get their cars out of hock at the tow yard.

look! my human verification word has punctuation in it!

phsvl'axq

(Dear Parking Vultures: How about a knuckle sandwich, followed by a quick bout of phsvl'axq? I thought so.)

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW do you think Marge has retired to San Diego and is ticketing your car just because she is bored in her retirement. Just a thought.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Marge! Could it be true? If so, it's all over for you. By the way, I used to wait on Marge sometimes. She was actually very nice (and tipped well). She told me that once a guy was cussing her out and said, "I can't believe you gave me a f****** ticket!" She said, "Oh, no sir, the city doesn't ticket you for that. This is for PARKING."

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger si said...

assuming you know marge from chico? wondering if marge has a twin sister named delores -- that's the name of our former parking enforcement officer. you know, the one that gave me 4 tickets in one day. maybe they're both in san diego and you really do need to watch out.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Erik said...

heather-i only issue sternly-worded memos to government agencies. whenever i actually threaten them, you're always cutting me! so i'm done with that.

michele-i agree, i'm not too impressed with dan's parking consultation skills. maybe he thought since it was a Geo, you wouldn't care so much. that's the only thing i can think of. :)

anon-angsty insurance companies are worse than insecure teenagers sometimes. i say cancel them first before they can cancel YOU. then you will be free to drive one hundred and sixty-five mph worry-free.

hey si-i didn't think anyone would try to beat my record, but you did it! maybe you can try to beat bryan's (anon's) record for speeding tickets next! :)

dottie-most people are totally surfer-chill here, but the parking vultures don't really understand that vibe. they're more hey-let's-be-lame-and-write-tickets.
everyone's got their own thing, you know?

anonymous-oh, my dear sweet marge. she never got me! she probably regrets it to this day. i was the one that got away. so now what's up marge? that's right, you never got me, uh-huh uh-huh.

anya-i remember when she used to come into lyon's. she was cool with crazy hair. didn't she sing, too?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home