Not Totally Inept

Breath-takingly insightful, if you're really dumb.

Monday, December 18, 2006

Can men and women be friends, and friends only? An age-old question, the answer to which is best left up to me. To give a little background, I was recently made aware of a situation where a man gained the friendship of an attractive female, under the obviously false pretense of wanting the friendship of an attractive female. No, the man I'm talking about is not me. Personally, I believe in honesty, or whatever that is when you say something you're fairly certain isn't directly false, in order to accomplish a mission. But again, I'm speaking in generalities.

Essentially, men have a biological imperative (or "noble quest" in Latin), which causes them to fake friendships with women. Now that is true honor, to fulfill one's purpose. If you disagree, then I'm left with no choice but to pull out the big guns, also known as incontrovertible truths. Years of research produces...

1. Men desire women
2. Women aren't always repulsed by men
3. Sometimes women ARE repulsed, though
4. Men understand that it's important to use deception
and tricks of the mind in order to combat this problem

If the above statements were made by elite scientists at some point in the past, and nick-named "The Big Four", that would not surprise me. If it were in the distant chauvinistic past, I would be even less surprised. However, if you need further evidence aside from the Big Four, then maybe a dose of evolutionary biology will set your ding-dong head right. Consider:

The man has been trained throughout multiple centuries to procreate by any means necessary. If this means spending several months undercover, discussing feelings and why it's OK or not OK that Gwyneth Paltrow named her baby Apple, then so be it. But at some point, action must be taken in the form of a romantic offensive, lest these discussions continue indefinitely. Indeed, if a man leaves the relationship stalled on "friend", it's the same as him saying, "ok, good enough, then. That egg can just sit there unfertilized, let's all just sit around and talk about chocolate until the sun flames out. I guess the hunt is over." Nay, I say!

"You're a pig!", say the women readers. Yet, ponder this, fair lasses: Isn't it sort of special to know that there's always a chance your good friend, who you've confided in for many years, might hit on you? Exciting! What could be better than that? Nothing, obviously. I'm sitting here trying to think of something better, and failing miserably.

As a counselor (of imaginary people) I hear multiple complaints per day about the lack of marriage-qualified men for you goddesses out there. Well, maybe one of your good friends is still in deep cover, and he simply hasn't shown his hand yet. So in reality, rather than a good man, all you need is some patience. Which is a virtue, if I didn't mention that before.

Though I realize some of my female friends may feel betrayed, please understand that it has simply fallen upon me to balance the scales of mating justice by explaining reality. Plus, I always remember to wink repeatedly at my female friends throughout the development of any friendship, so they can't act all surprised down the road when I try to make out with their elbow or something.

Female Friend: I can't believe you would try to make out with my elbow, I thought we were friends!

Me: How can that surprise you, after all those times we were together, and I had my hand over my right eye and my left eye was blinking flirtatiously?

Female Friend: I thought you had something in your eye!

Me: Well guess what, I didn't. So is it on, or what?

Female Friend: You are a sad, sad man. And stop blinking.

Me: Cool, maybe we'll hook up later. [returns to deep cover]

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all my friends out there! Especially the girls. [blink]

8 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait... what? I'm confused. Are you hitting on me?

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

No, I think he's hitting on me!

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Rob said...

my girlfriend is very pretty.
she has many friends of all genders.
i try to explain to her that the guys (except the gay ones) may indeed like her very much, and admire her many qualities, but that doesn't mean they're not in stealth mode, just waiting for the right moment.
she always tells me i'm too imaginative -- until one of them gets drunk or desperate and tips his hand, then she looks disgustedly at all men for a week or so.
so basically some other bozo's flameout makes me look bad, thanks a lot pal.
i have no idea what this comment is about...

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger si said...

your description of blinking (vs winking) somehow made a mental picture come to mind of one of those lizards that could blink one eye at a time*. THAT could be your problem and keeps you relegated to the friend role... :)

*tho, it probably adds to your allure by having to hold one hand over the other eye.

happy holidays, erik!

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Blogball said...

Thanks for this entertaining post Erik.

As I was reading your post it reminded me of a great scene in the movie When Harry Met Sally. I managed to find the dialog on line from this particular part of the movie.
I really thing it fits nicely with your post.



Harry: You realize of course that we can never be friends.

Sally: Why not?

Harry: What I'm saying is... and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or
form, is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets
in the way.

Sally: That's not true, I have a number of men friends and there's is no sex
involved.

Harry: No you don't.

Sally: Yes I do.

Harry: No you don't.

Sally: Yes I do.

Harry: You only think you do.

Sally: You're saying I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?

Harry: No, what I'm saying is they all want to have sex with you.

Sally: They do not.

Harry: Do too.

Sally: They do not.

Harry: Do too.

Sally: How do you know?

Harry: Because no man can be friends with a woman he finds attractive, he
always wants to have sex with her.

Sally: So you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds
unattractive.

Harry: Nuh, you pretty much wanna nail'em too.

Sally: What if they don't want to have sex with you?

Harry: Doesn't matter, because the sex thing is already out there so the
friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.

Sally: Well I guess we're not going to be friends then.

Harry: Guess not.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger si said...

blogball: this was the perfect addendum to erik's post!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Erik said...

rebecca & lisa-obviously, i'm hitting on both of you. like you couldn't see that one coming.

bryan-i think it's good that girls don't always know what's in store for them. neat!

si-it's decided i'm going to work on my winking. but you'll have no one to blame but yourself if you find me attractive after i get good at it!

blogball-most appropriate, well done.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

how did i fail to comment on this?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home