Not Totally Inept

Breath-takingly insightful, if you're really dumb.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

This post is AMAZING

Based on some of my recent social research, in addition to 98% of all conversations I've overheard in the last few weeks, it would appear that the government has disallowed the use of any adjective aside from "AMAZING". While unprecedented and seemingly arbitrary, this rule allows everyone to save time and be more boring. Not to be judgmental, but honestly, it's like a bunch of 7th-graders babbling incoherently after a Hannah Montana concert.

Don't get me wrong--I have my own collection of overused pet words whose expiration date has probably long since lapsed. Example: "Sick" or "The Sickness".

Usage: "I enjoyed the energetic performance, engaging stage presence, and homage paid to earlier albums. Make no mistake, that concert was the sickness."

Ok, there's really no excuse for a man of my age to use this word, although as you will see in the next sentence, that will not stop me from attempting to excuse it. That's right, I believe mine to be a different sort of problem, mainly because I don't make a specific effort to pause for a ridiculous length of time between my pet word and other surrounding words. Lovers of the word "amazing”, on the other hand, are apparently required to space out the time preceding usage of the word to a preposterous degree, and if possible, not say any other words for 10 seconds following usage.

Example: "Their pecan-crusted halibut is....[intentional 10 year pause]......AMAZING."

[additional 8-year pause]

Memo to lovers of the word "amazing": This is a very common word, I don't need extra time to try and figure out its meaning. Instead of attempting to make time stand still, I would rather you complement the word "amazing" with additional adjectives which could help to convey what you actually mean, aside from "really good".

For instance, you might think someone's halibut is "amazing" because it's extremely spicy, and I might prefer my halibut to be so bland that I fall asleep while eating it. But now I am up a creek because you've decided that "amazing" is a magic word which can be used whenever you feel like saying a single word and then standing idly by as everyone else scrambles to decode your inane ramblings.

For the record, I like my halibut on the flavorful side, but that's just pure coincidence. You would have no way of knowing that, so I still request that you use unambiguous and descriptive adjectives when discussing halibut or other types of fish in my presence.

I realize that I am opening myself up to amazing criticism by posting something this amazing, but so be it. I also realize it's possible I'm hanging out around the wrong people. When I find new people, I'm going to test them by asking if they've heard of the Amazing Spiderman. If they say, "What do you mean by 'Amazing'?, I'll know they are my kind of people.

Related: My uncle's thoughts from a few years ago on another overused word.

10 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger unca said...

Thanks for the plug, even though it appeared in 4 point type. I take what I can get. But my real point is, the word in the midwest is "awesome." "Amazing" would sound refreshing to our ears. "Awesome," of course, comes from "awe" which means, "The emotion inspired by something dreadful and sublime; an undefined sense of the dreadful and the sublime; reverential fear, or solemn wonder; profound reverence." Where I live we use it in phrases like, "You're new TV remote control is really awesome." There goes another good word down the tubes.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger jay are said...

this post was just...........
amazing.





seriously.




I agree. (do you like my 10 year pauses?? and remind me to never cook halibut for you. I'll be a nervous wreck trying to get it right.)

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger heatherfeather said...

I think that I am pretty freakin'... the sickness.

Oh wait, I meant amazing.

Or righteous. Oooh!! How about dope sky?!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger si said...

i'll have to send you an email about my "amazing" story.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Rob said...

one word i consider overused lately is "urinalysis", as in "Bryan, as part of your sentence you will be subject to random unrinalysis." which I'm sure you'll agree is totally uncalled for.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Erik said...

unca-my bad on the 4 point type. I promise the next reference will be more prominent. :) Sorry to hear about "awesome". I think the power of that word was still in the early stages of rehab due to its abuse during the 80's. Looks like it has suffered quite the setback. That tv remote you have IS awesome, though.

jay are-if you cook me halibut and mess up, i'll just say it was amazing. that way no one will be sure WHAT happened.

hf-dope sky?? I must've been absent that day. let me try: that painting is so dope sky!

how'd i do?

si-thanks for the great story you emailed me! was it a story about an invisible non-existent email? really good stuff. ;-)

bryan-we're definitely on the same page there--it's basically the same thing with me. or was that a paternity test people are always asking me for...I can't remember. syphilis? hold on, let me check.

yeah, everyone asks me if i still have syphilis. odds are, yes!!

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger si said...

so, where's the formal retraction of your sarcastic comment, eh?? :-)

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Erik said...

i would like to formally retract my libelous comments regarding si's alleged inability to use email. turns out it was my inability.

if anyone's wondering why she couldn't just post it as a comment, it's because she works for a shadowy government agency. even now i've said too much. this will be my last post...i hear them outside my door. just kidding, i'm still at work, we have security.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger si said...

i've been having trouble leaving a comment back (drat that shadowy govt agency!). thx for the formal retraction, and for blowing my cover! :-)

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Do you like "fabulous?" At the gas station recently I heard a woman say "fabulous" three times in one very very short conversation. I think she herself was doing "fabulous," things were "fabulous" and I can't remember the third thing that was fabulous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home