Not Totally Inept

Breath-takingly insightful, if you're really dumb.

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Doncha Wish Your Husband Was Ugly Like Mine-Doncha!

The American Journal of Medicine recently published a study which found that 86% of its studies were pointless. Just kidding, the study actually found that wives with repulsive-looking husbands were happier than wives with non-repulsive husbands. I'm not a scientist, but something tells me I can help everyone understand this study in a more complete way.

First, I need to be up front with the ladies: I expected better. Combined with your low math scores, this study doesn't make you guys look too great. I myself know the ladies are awesome, but maybe not everyone knows. You have to prove this like we do, by beating each other up, or yelling angrily! Your actions could potentially speak even louder than the “Women Are Awesome” campaign I organized last year. That campaign was extremely successful, true, but the essence of my point remains.

Here are some fact-based reasons for the study results, which cannot be disputed, unless you want to:

1. Women are at their happiest when being more attractive than others. This includes that woman across the street, your sister, her hamster, herself, and any imaginary women who don’t yet exist. But if they do exist, they better be less attractive. “And they better stay the $%^$ away from my man! Ooh girl, don’t you look at him like that!”

2. Women derive great joy from cats, celebrities, and sometimes even 4 cats. Dogs are in the mix as well. Basically, women enjoy pets, and love taking their pet rat-dog for a walk. Ergo, if they are married to the elephant man, they not only could take him for a walk, he could provide conversation, if his mouth was not deformed.

3. Women are not as visually stimulated as men are. I won't pass judgment on this quality other than to say it seems like an obvious brain defect.

4. Most women enjoy apologies. An ugly man’s very existence is in some sick way, a constant apology.

Acne-pitted Husband: "There is no excuse for my unseemly complexion, non-chiseled jawline and close-set eyes. It pains me deeply that you are occasionally forced to glance in my direction. And just so you know, this matter will continue to trouble me until I am dead. I also beg your forgiveness in advance for that, since a less attractive person will no longer be available for immediate comparison."

5. In general, women are nurturers. The result of the nurture quality is the desire in many women to nurse their husbands’ ugly visages back to health. Remember when your kindergarten teacher gave you special attention? Anyone who said yes, you know what that means.

Anyway, in the majority of ugly-husband scenarios, even consistent visage-nurturing is ultimately ineffective without cosmetic surgery. Thus, the opportunity to nurture never ends. Obvious result: Euphoric wife.

6. Though they may prefer to keep it hush-hush, many women have caveman fantasies that would embarrass the most seasoned of street walkers. And the more you look like a caveman, the more fertile this type of woman automatically becomes. Sub-result: An ugly husband AND several ugly children to nurture. Obvious result: Euphoric wife.

One potential flaw to this theory is that women seem to adore cute children, maybe even more than the cavemen fantasies. I need more time with #6. I’m definitely onto something, it simply needs to be fleshed out.

7. Finally, women like to feel special. Who doesn’t, right??? As former president John F. Kennedy said, “Ugly people are by nature less special than attractive people.” And then an ugly man shot him, out of spite.

Ugly husbands don’t even have to be romantic or thoughtful. The ugly husband's only true responsibility is walking by his wife 2 or 3 times per day, to remind her that she is a goddess by comparison. My advice to these men is to walk by briskly, so that she will know you have extra energy and want to go for a walk.

9 Comments:

At 12:08 AM, Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Very interesting. Surprisingly enough, I think there may be a tiny thread of sanity and some very miniscule grains of truth hidden very (very) deeply within your post. Like perhaps the part about we not being as visual as men. On the contrary to the ugly men not needing to be romantic and thoughtful, comment, though, which of course is not what you meant since mostly you say the opposite of what you mean except when, in some weird twist to keep us alert, you DO say what you mean, I think that what happens with really handsome men sometimes -- painting with a broad brush -- is that they are so used to having everything handed to them and people falling all over themselves around them that they forget other people are on the earth too and that one of those persons is their wife, with whom they should be romantic and thoughtful. A good friend of mine, upon opening a necklace from her not-super-cute-but-very-thoughtful-fiance, said to me, "Marry an ugly man, girl." :-) However, I have to anecdotally mention that this whole study is not true in my own experience, as my husband is extremely handsome and also awesome and romantic and thoughtful. Take that.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger unca said...

OK, two things. First, how do you explain the fact that Julia Roberts(world's most beautiful woman--according to some) and Lyle Lovett (world's ugliest man)could only stay married for less than two years. Secondly, I give you Harry Belfonte singing (you'll have to imagine a calypso beat)

MARRY A WOMAN UGLIER THAN YOU
"If you want to be happy, live a king's life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
If you want to be happy, live a king's life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
All you’ve got to do is just what I say
Then you'll be happy, merry and gay
And from a logical point of view
Marry a woman uglier than you
And from a logical point of view
marry a woman uglier than you
A pretty woman makes her husband look small
And very often cause his downfall
As soon as she’s married, an affair she start
To do all those things that will break your heart
And when you think she’s belonging to you
She's calling somebody else to do
So from a logical point of view
Marry a woman uglier than you
If you want to live a long and happy life
Avoiding consternation and marital strive
For a logical man this is easy to do
When you marry a woman uglier than you
But if you make an ugly woman your wife
You’ll be so happy all of your life
She wouldn’t do things in a funny way
Just to give the neighbours something to say
She wouldn't disregard her husband at all
By exhibiting herself to Peter and Paul
So, from a logical point of view
Marry a woman uglier than you
If you want to live a long and happy life
Avoiding consternation and marital strive
For a logical man this is easy to do
Just marry a woman
Marry a woman
Uglier than you
Ugly woman
Ugly woman
Ugly woman
I marry you!"

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Rob said...

"...once again, Erik does not disappoint. The familiar pattern will appeal to his existing fan base, while the new subject matter keeps it fresh and exciting."
-NYT Book Review

I actually think you're on to something here.
As to Lovett/Roberts, I think that can be explained away by the fact that Julia Roberts is
a) not sexy, b) self-absorbed, and c) insane.
I think the Harry Belafonte song is excellent, and that it not so much refutes the point as strengthens it. The ugly woman in the song is less happy; it's the guy who's happy in that marriage. Ie, it works both ways: to be happy, marry someone uglier than you.
I personally plan to be 60 yrs old with numerous 28-yr-old girlfriends, thereby making everyone happy all around.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I'm afraid! What if I always thought I was happily married, but really I haven't known true happiness because my husband isn't ugly enough? What do you advise women who married attractive men before this study came out?

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Blogball said...

This just gave me an idea to start a computer dating service that matches really ugly guys with nice looking women. I could call it Beauty & The Beast Dating Service.

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there's some data missing from your discussion here. How good looking are the women with these ugly husbands? Based on rumors I've heard -- though primetime TV appears to be trying to debunk this theory -- hot people date hot people and ugly people date ugly people. So maybe the women are ugly themselves and are grateful to have a husband at all?

Blogball, the website hotchickswithdouchebags.com might help you out if you want to do some research for your new dating service.

 
At 6:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Erik, I enjoyed your post very much. As the one who gave birth to you, I apologize that you turned out to be so handsome that you will not be able to make any woman happy. Do not be embarrassed by this comment. Mothers are allowed to make comments like these. :-)
(I had to enter this as "anonymous" because the blog people won't accept my blog name for comments) But you know who I am.

 
At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All kidding aside, from personal experience I've never met a woman that was attractive that would settle for a decidely ugly husband. Women are very visual also.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Kirsten WIlliams said...

The man im dating is not attractive to me, but he treats me good. At times, im repulsed by him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home